Monday, August 11, 2008

Amusements...or NOT

I've been driving a lot of carpools to the zoo. Sometimes I stay in the big town and amuse myself for a few hours before seeing the zoo show and driving the kids home again.

One day involved Frank's annual maintenance -- that sounds like he's a car! A visit to the optometrist happily revealed that for the first time in almost 10 years, he did NOT need new glasses. And we got him a new cell phone. This was promised for his birthday almost year ago, but he was supposed to be proactive and pick it out. Frank, proactive? So a year later...

Another day I had a lovely brunch with the Handy Husband. He had gone to work early so he was ready for a break at 10:00. We ate at a beautiful sidewalk cafe. I looked up at the blue sky and palm trees while I ate my eggs benedict.


Then I went to the Natural History Museum. I saw some beautiful rocks. The malachite looked like the Emerald City of Oz. So I took a picture, only I didn't realize the flash was on. And then this woman shrieked at me, "DON'T USE THE FLASH!!!" OMG, did I break some rule? Is the museum going to kick me out? No, she was just a busy body visitor. While I was fumbling with the camera (it was dark in the room and I couldn't see the settings) she came over and tried to touch my camera:

Her: "Here. I'll do it for you."Me: "No thanks, I got it." Her [looming even closer]: "Be sure to hold it really still." Me [getting annoyed]: "Excuse me but I know how to take pictures." Her: "Oh, I'm sorry. I talk to my kids like that." Me [thinking how sorry I felt for her kids]: .... I said nothing.

I was not amused so I left the room and went back later when she wasn't there. Anyway, the picture WITH the glare of the flash came out best.


Honestly, doesn't that look like the Emerald City?

3 comments:

Vanessa said...

I think it really does look like the Emerald City, beautiful! As far as the lady? She needs to learn about boundaries.

Louise said...

Yes, definitely the Emerald City. And the story of the woman? Well, things like that is why in another 10 years I'll probably be a hermit.

Louise said...

Yes, definitely the Emerald City. And the story of the woman? Well, things like that is why in another 10 years I'll probably be a hermit.