Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Soft Diet

Ernest has entered Braces Phase 2.




Phase 1 took place in second grade, when he looked like this.


Adorable, I know, but who wants to look like SpongeBob all through grade school. After Phase 1, he wore retainers for a long long time. Finally, when most of the required teeth had come in, Phase 2 started on his bottom teeth a couple months ago. Now Phase 2.something: he got the top brackets yesterday.


Scene: 9:30 a.m. Take an advil. OK Mom. Put one in your pocket to take at lunch. I won't need it, mom.


Scene: 3:30 p.m. Do we have any soft snacks? Do your teeth hurt? Yes. Did you take the Advil? No. I TOLD YOU SO! How long did your teeth hurt the last time? 4 days. Take the Advil!


So I scavenged in the cupboards and luckily found instant chocolate pudding and jello. I have no idea how old they were but they tasted all right. Turkey soup for dinner, malt-o-meal for breakfast.


Tonight I'm going to stew some pork (on sale $1.99/pound) until it's really tender and make a chili. One pot meals have been working out really well...they can stay on the stove until the Handy Husband gets home at whatever uncertain hour.


(He almost got sent to Switzerland this weekend, but he declined on account of next week's concert tickets. I'm still not telling.)

UPDATE ON FRIDAY: HE SAYS HE'LL BE ABLE TO EAT PIZZA TODAY.


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor kid. So sorry his mouth hurts. I guess that's us in about a year. And, before that, more oral surgery -- this time to surgically extract teeth that haven't erupted yet. She doesn't know yet.

David said...

Ouch, I know how much that hurts! When I was 9 I went through the whole mouth at the dentist. Too painful to recall all the details.

Tricia said...

That picture is really funny.

Why don't our children realize that we really do know what we're talking about?

Hope he's chewing again soon.

Vanessa said...

Poor kiddo! I had to have braces twice too.

Mrs. G. said...

Yikes. I hope the Advil has kicked in!

Anonymous said...

oh you have my sympathy, my little one had dental surgery this summer- it was gruesome! The result now is a pathalogical fear of jelly!

Anonymous said...

Ouch! I feel his pain. Not fun at all.

Sara Maria said...

Wait...why recast Jacob? He looked like a wolfie type Native American kid to me! Oh...Im not a stalker...I am a Tootsie Farklepants/Vintage Thirty fan and I saw your comment. Well, hi from Mi!! :) lol

Sara Maria said...

Yes, my real life Jacob is a sweet little boy. (like my little brother or nephew or something to me, Im his nanny now) You make a good point about fictional Jacob. His coloring is perfect but will he be able to get big enough??? Now you have me thinking. And by the way, I enjoy your blog. I am going to add you to my list of reads. I am totally boring but you are welcome to stop by anytime youd like. Ill get better one day. lol

dkuroiwa said...

Okay, so 6-year old Koji totally cracked up at that picture and in between the giggles I swear I heard him say "that would be cool to look like Spongebob"!! (loosely translated, you know!)
I don't know about you, but...I can pretty much stand, for a short period of time, most pain...but the pain that comes from anything resulting from a visit to the dentist...no...no way...I'm such a wuss!!
Sending painless thoughts...of the valium kind!!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Four kids each with two phases. Since my kids can live on homemade milkshakes that's what they did!

That Spongebob picture is amazing.