Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Split Pea Shortage

Over the holiday break, Ernest has been begging for ham. And his mean old Mom, besides having turkey for Thanksgiving, forced him to eat turkey for Christmas, too. Hey, I was craving stuffing and gravy, that's why. So I promised him we'd have ham on New Year's Eve. In our house, that means split pea soup the day afterwards.

Apparently, a lot of people are having split pea soup at this time of year. One store was sold out completely. At the other, I grabbed the last bag of peas. The LAST bag, I tell you.

Is this a holiday tradition I don't know about? I thought it was black-eyed peas at New Year's, not split peas.

I think we'll be celebrating our New Year's Eve tonight on east coast time, so we can go to bed early. There's a lot to do tomorrow, including making that darn soup.

What are your plans for the evening?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love split pea soup with ham.

Here, we'll be packing moving boxes and then going downtown this afternoon for First Night. Knowing us, we'll be home by 9:00. We'll put on our PJ's and watch the fireworks from our living room window.

Happy New Year!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Mmmm. I do love split pea soup. I have no idea what we'll eat tomorrow. Maybe pizza.

Happy New Year!

Very Mary said...

I'm with Jen on the Edge - just LOVE the stuff! But please allow me to pass on the sauerkraut, which makes me throw up in my mouth a little.

Is it sad that it's 6 p.m. and we don't yet know what we're doing tonight? We have three options, but we may just say boo to all of them and stay home in our pajamas.

Jen said...

yum to pea and ham soup.

Vanessa said...

Did you check that the black eyed peas weren't sold out as well? Maybe split peas is a second choice for creating good luck for the year? I recently went to a store that was out of eggs. Who knows what creates the demand anymore!

barbra said...

Next time I drive up the 101 (which almost never happens), I'll have to stop and try your split pea soup instead of stopping at that famous restaurant (you know the one: P.S.A.)!

Anonymous said...

They used them all on the Rose Parade floats.