Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Cioppino

What do you do with a big bag of mixed seafood from Costco, which contains Calimari, Mussels, Shrimp, and Scallops?

Make cioppino! This was very good.


I cobbled together a recipe from various sources, and this is what I came up with:

2 15-oz cans diced tomatoes
1 12-oz can V8*
1 8-oz bottle clam juice
1 c. white wine (I didn't measure, I just poured!)
a small onion, diced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
crushed red pepper*

*Slap head -- I shoulda had a spicy V8!

Simmer this together for about half an hour, then add

chopped parsley
the giant 2.5 lb. bag of seafood
juice of one lemon

It will look like there's way too much, but as it thaws and cooks it will shrink down. Cook just until the seafood is done and mussels are open.

This made about 6-8 servings, depending on your appetite. Frank and I were completely satisfied with just one bowl. Growth Spurt Boy Ernest and the HH had seconds.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh my lordy, this looks fantastic. I'll be right over for leftovers. Ha ha, like there are any.

Susan said...

Looks tasty - wish my husband was a seafood lover...

Pretty Things said...

Looks good!

Sent you an email to your yahoo account!

Anonymous said...

I'm not a seafood fan but that looks delicious!