Sunday, February 19, 2012

Sheer Panic

A short time after my last post yesterday, I went back to Blogger Dashboard and my blogs were gone.  Disappeared. Vanished into thin cyberspace.  Sheer panic!  5 years of my life lost, I thought.  I spent a while searching through confusing help threads, posted a message, and then lo and behold they reappeared.  I don't know what happened, but oh, my sweet little blogs, I am glad you are back home safe and sound.

I haven't felt quite so panicked since losing a child at Sea World.  Frank was not quite six.  I watched him come down the slide in Shamu's playland, he ran around the slide to go down again (I thought) and he never reappeared.  We involved park personnel and frantically searched for him for what seemed like ages but was probably only 10 minutes.  Turns out he had gone in the ball pit and submerged himself, so he couldn't hear people calling for him.  I've hated ball pits ever since.

But there is that moment of sheer panic that grips your heart, that sinking feeling in your core and you wonder if life will ever be normal again.  Not that I'm equating losing the blogs to losing a child.  Maybe to losing a ring or car keys or wallet.  But you know the feeling.


11 comments:

Jodi Anderson said...

I have a suggestion. You should export a copy of your .xml file and save it periodically. If something should happen, such as your account was accidentally deleted, you'd be able to import that file into a new account... or the old account if you just deleted the posts. I found this tutorial that should help. The directions are at the very bottom.

export xml directions

Karen and Murph said...

Lost my oldest at the a water park when she was four. OMG I get nauseous thinking about it even now twenty years later!

SarahBeth said...

I can relate! Haven't lost my blog, but did lose my son when he was three. At the mall. When they found him, he was looking in the window of a toy shop (figures) all the way on the other side of the mall! The shop manager called security and then watched him until I got there. Little sneak. Scared me to death.

And thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog!!

Gary's third pottery blog said...

eeeeeeeek!

Cindy Adkins said...

I've heard of this happening to others, too. I can imagine your panic! I'd do the same. So glad it came back!
Cindy

Anonymous said...

That's the kind of fear that makes you sick to your stomach.

Glennis said...

It's like losing a diary or journal. Never have lost a child, so... knock wood...I don't know.

And Jodi's idea is so good I'm going to do itmyself.

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

I had a post disappear on me yesterday (but didn't know it until 1pm today). Losing my entire blog library? AAACCCKK!!!
I wonder if Jodi's idea would work with WordPress?

smalltownme said...

I took Jodi's advice.

I also found that blogger was no longer getting e-mailed posts from my phone...so I had to fix that, too. I don't mind changes at all -- love the new blogger and facebook too. But I do mind when my stuff DISAPPEARS!

dkuroiwa said...

have stayed away from blogger since reading your post...it's a bit scary....but will check out jodi's link, just in case!!
true fear was at a wal-mart when issei disappeared and they announced a lock-down until they found him. that feeling comes back sometimes and i just wanna cry. funny thing, though...even though koji was only about a year old when that happened...he remembers. i think that must be his earliest memory...i've asked him questions about it...he truly remembers.

Vanessa said...

How scary on both fronts! Glad both were found, safe and sound.