Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Tax help

I used to do our taxes myself. Why did I always end up doing it and not my husband? Probably because I worked in an Accounting Department for a while. One year, hugely pregnant with Ernest and with my job moving both to another employer and to another location, I gave the whole mess to an accountant. Best thing I ever did.

That was back in the dark ages time before Turbo Tax, I think.  I could probably manage it with a computer program now, but I just don't want to.  Besides, I like my accountant.  We went to high school with him and he's very funny on Facebook.  And then you feel important.  You have people.  Advisors.  You can say, well my accountant says...

But I still have to sort out the receipts and forms and fill out his tax planner.  Homer likes to help with that.  He was even more help this morning when I had everything spread out in piles on the table.  His favorite pile?  The charitable deductions.  "Where's the deduction for kibble? Can you depreciate the cost of cat toys?  Didn't you have a cat adoption expense?  I'm under 18 - you should list me as a dependent."

I just hope the accountant isn't allergic to cats, because Homer sat on just about everything.


Here's hoping that your tax prep goes smoothly (and cat-hairlessly) this year.

5 comments:

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

I love that Homer helps you out. I love it even more than my husband has done our taxes for the past 25 years.

Vanessa said...

I've often wished I could claim my two furkids as dependents!

Gary's third pottery blog said...

I am so lucky the wife is a bookkeeper, believe me :) Too bad our cat Spike is not as helpful as yours!

Anonymous said...

We have an accountant. I cannot imagine doing the taxes ourselves.

Susan said...

I am a complete numbers idiot and I get stuck with our taxes every year. I feel saved by Turbo Tax and have used it since it came out.