Thursday, April 26, 2012

Hey Mom, Can I Take Apart the Piano?

"Hey, Mom, can I take apart the piano?"

True question, from Ernest of course.


"Why sure, dear."

This started because the front cover was squeaking. Once he took the front off, he started fiddling with the insides to see if he could fix the wonky key.  The one that double taps.  He figured out it was missing a felt pad, somehow maneuvered a piece of felt behind the whatchamacallit, glued it on, and voila.

He and another classmate, with their teacher's blessing, are planning to learn how to tune pianos.  The music department's minuscule budget will go a lot farther if they don't have to pay someone to tune 6 pianos every year.

I don't know if he fixed the squeak, though.

4 comments:

Glennis said...

Wow, that's ambitious!! What an interesting guy he is!

In my bohemian days, in NYC, I found a piano carcass on the street and hauled it up to my loft to serve as a wall sculpture.

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

You are extremely brave to let him experiment on your piano! On the other hand, I should have learned by now that your son is extremely talented and creative.

Anonymous said...

it comforts me to know that the Family Fix-it Gene
is alive and thriving.
M-I-L

Anonymous said...

Ah, how to instill that desire and curiosity in my boys--tear it apart! I want to say--Learn how it works!