Monday, July 21, 2014

Peach and Shrimp Salad

We can't possibly be tired of peaches yet!

I wanted something light and was craving a shrimp salad.  Myrecipes.com came up with 3 different shrimp and peach salad combinations.
I went with the curried salad because I had most of the ingredients!


  • 1 pound large shelled and deveined shrimp (24 to 32 per lb.) 
  • 2 cups chopped peaches 
  • 1 tablespoon minced red onion 
  • 1/2 serrano chile, thinly sliced
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon lime juice 
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil 
  • 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
  • 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
  • package (4 oz.) plain or black pepper pappadums*
  • avocado, sliced 
  • 1 cup cilantro sprigs

  1. 1. Boil shrimp in salted water until just opaque, about 30 seconds. Transfer to bowl of ice water to cool. Drain shrimp and put in a large mixing bowl.
  2. 2. Add peaches, onion, chile, salt, and lime juice to shrimp.
  3. 3. Heat oil in a small frying pan until warm. Add spices and swirl to toast. Pour warm oil over shrimp mixture, gently stirring to combine.
  4. 4. Microwave 4 pappadums 1 at a time until puffed and crisp, about 50 seconds. Crack each into a few large pieces.
  5. 5. Arrange avocado on 4 dinner plates, top with shrimp mixture, and garnish plates with cilantro and pappadums.
  6. *Wafer-thin Indian bread; find in the Asian food aisle of well-stocked grocery stores.


    Lacking the serrano chile, I just used red pepper flakes.  Less salt because that seemed like a lot. And ground cumin and coriander instead of seeds (about half the stated amount). Extra lime juice because I love it. And no cilantro because I used it all up the night before in some chimichurri sauce. You see how this is going.  But these really were not major changes.


    Oh yes, and no pappadums because I didn't want to go to the store today, and couldn't recall even seeing them in the store before.  Garlic naan would be tasty, I thought.  But I didn't want to get involved in bread making and there was a petite baguette in the freezer, so garlic bread it was.

    Served on a bed of lettuce.  Delish.


    Handy told me "this is great" about three times.

    Next up, the classic peach pie. Unless I get crazy.  Stay tuned.

    6 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    That's just unusual enough to work--I bet this tasted crisp and fresh and light together--never a combination I'd have considered.

    Common Household Mom said...

    Om nom nom nom. The recipe sounds delicious.

    Cheri @ Blog This Mom!® said...

    OH OH OH! I am INTO trying this! I haz peaches (and the rest) except for garam masala and shrimp. I'm kind of thinking that chicken or tofu would sub nicely, too. Hmmm. Tonight's dinner may have just been planned!

    Suzanne Casamento said...

    This salad must be delicious! The perfect blend of sweet and savory. Thanks for sharing. :)

    Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

    You can cook for me any day!

    Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

    I am definitely making a peach pie one day soon. It all looks amazing!