Saturday, January 03, 2015

Recreating Cheddar Bay Biscuits

Warning, this post includes dairy, gluten and fat!

I can't say I've ever eaten the famous biscuits at Red Lobster, since I've only been there once, but I impulse-bought a pack of their mix.


Lots of ingredients. 


They tasted great though. It's the garlic butter you dump on after they are baked.


I thought I'd try to replicate the recipe. I've made Bisquick biscuits with cheese before, but they were always a bit heavy. Some internet research let me to cut in some butter with the dry ingredients, like a scratch biscuit or pie dough. (By the way, I have converted Frank to the joys of food processor pie crust. Ernest remains old-school on that matter.)

My Cheddar Bay Biscuits
(Makes 12 large biscuits because the guys said to make extra)

3 c. Bisquick
1 t. Old Bay seasoning
1 cube butter
1 c. grated cheese*
1 1/4 c. milk

Preheat oven to 425°. Mix together Bisquick and Old Bay. Cut in butter using your preferred method (food processor or pastry thingy). Add cheese and toss till cheese is mixed throughout. Mix in milk. Form 12 biscuits on greased cookie sheet. Bake for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, make garlic butter.

1 more cube butter (I didn't say these were low-fat)
2 T chopped parsley
3 cloves minced garlic*

When biscuits are done, top with garlic butter.

*I'm not entirely sure of these amounts because Handy was responsible for the prep. He tends to go overboard.

They got a good reception.


So I used up the box of Bisquick for this. When I bought more, wouldn't you know it, look what was on the box. So yes, you could probably use less butter! However, fresh garlic and parsley are certainly an improvement.


3 comments:

Common Household Mom said...

(drool drool drool)

Gary's third pottery blog said...

I am sure that they received a VERY fine reception....

Anonymous said...

I've made these from "bisquick" scratch, too. They DO turn out good;)