Friday, March 27, 2015

Scam

I recently got one of those IRS scam calls. Yes, there's a warrant out for my arrest and so on and so forth.


© aihumnoi – Fotolia.com

These make me so angry. I can imagine there are some people who would believe them. Case in point, my late aunt. Every time she did her taxes she would say, "the sheriffs are coming to get me." Note she used the plural. She was a feisty bitch and more than one sheriff would be needed to take her down.

As an adult, I can see that she was a paranoid old biddy. But in my childhood, I was really worried. Not that they'd take her away, no I would have been delighted about that! But I always worried that my mother would be taken, too. We moved several times when I was very young, I spent a lot of time being shuttled back and forth to my dad's house, and my mom was the only person I felt secure with. I was terrified at the thought of her being taken away and me having to live with one of the aunts.

So thanks, scammers, for bringing back unhappy childhood memories.

6 comments:

Common Household Mom said...

I didn't know the scammers would say things like that. Triple shame on them for bringing back those memories.

Cassi said...

Wow, I have never had that happen! Just another reason to never answer the phone, which I'm already really good at :-)

Jenny Hart Boren said...

A friend in Colorado got that same call yesterday! At least half my calls are scammers or schemers these days, but I ignore them. BUT they also call my easily confused 92 year old mother who totally panics, and IT MAKES ME SO MAD!

Anonymous said...

I had that call on my answering machine! I like to think there's a special spot in hell for those creeps...pretty close to where those jerks who smash little kids' jack o' lanterns have to suffer...

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

That was a telephone call? So very, very wrong. I agree with Green Girl: for the people who believe the message and for those who have terrible memories that crop up because of the message, there should be an especially awful place in hell for scammers like that.
I'm sorry that you have those memories, that you had awful experiences in childhood.

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

My sister's husband's 94 year old grandma got those calls this year. Fortunately she called my sister down to take one of them. Ridiculous that no one can stop this from happening year after year. Another friend had their tax identity stolen this year and when she went to file her taxes, she got a message that her taxes had already been filed. What a mess.