Friday, May 09, 2008

Mother's Day

Yahoo Shine lists the 5 worst mother's day gifts but I disagree with a couple.
  • Kitchen appliances: I wouldn't say no to a fancy appliance. A panini maker? An espresso machine? Any cool gadget from Williams Sonoma?
  • Lotion: I agree with this. I have a lot of lotion in the cupboard, I don't need any more.
  • Granny nighties: But I don't want any sexy stuff either. It's just not me.
  • House cleaning gear, i.e. a vacuum: I bought my Darling Dyson myself. I would have accepted it as a gift!
  • The Man Cold: I agree with this.
    So here's a picture of what I did get. I asked for it for my birthday (next week) but it arrived early.

    I'm serious. I totally wanted a new toilet for the hall bath. The original toilet was

    • 45 years old
    • a water hog
    • wouldn't always shut off
    • impossible to clean, after years of hard water and scrubbing with a pumice stone
    So I got a toilet. It's lovely. Smooth and shiny as a pearl! And I'm not alone in wanting ordinary useful things. My mother-in-law wants some furniture assembled and leaky faucets repaired.

    If I were to ask for something more "special" it would be dinner out, flowers, chocolate, a massage, etc. But the best Mother's Day gifts have always been the cute things my sons made in school:This faded beauty has sat above the computer for 8 years!

    6 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    I'm with you, sometimes the best presents are practical and it's okay with me.

    Noodle said...

    Amen! I really want a Cuisinart food processor. And I got my Dyson last year too. :)

    Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

    I'm with you--useful can be good. Especially when it makes your life easier.

    I got a room air conditioner for our bedroom--it doesn't really get hot enough in San Diego to justify spending several thousand dollars to replace the whole house one we had when our house was less than 1/2 its present size. But, upstairs, a few nights out of the year . . . It will be perfect.

    Anonymous said...

    OH, I am so with you on this - the house we moved into last year has a PEACH bathroom, complete with peach floral tiles...it even had peach carpet with pee,pee stains - my idea of bliss would be a white bathroom.....

    Anonymous said...

    I got a gift certificate for a massage and a hanging basket of flowers.
    I can understand your want's though!!

    One year for our anniversary I got a new sump pump so the water from the basement would drain up into the kitchen sink. I was in heaven!!

    Anonymous said...

    Oops! That should have read **wouldn't drian**