Friday, June 01, 2012

Just Call Me Harriet

"Ernest, can you pick up your floor and put your clothes away?  I need to get to your window to spy on the neighbor."

True conversation.

When Ernest was on a trip a few months ago, I seized the opportunity to clean up his room.  While washing the window, I happened to spy the mess in my neighbor's side yard.  He had dragged boxes of junk over there a couple years ago when a yard sale was rained out, and has been adding to the piles  ever since.

(Funny, this did look a bit like Ernest's room, but Ernest's mess was not covered with pine needles.)

This is just a small section...it extends the length of the side yard next to both his house and our shared fence.



The other day I heard scrabbling noises from the other side of the fence.  Hence my need to get into Ernest's room to see what was going on.

There's still a bunch of junk but he seems to have sorted it out a bit.  Is he planning another yard sale?  He has made a barrier out of firewood at the front of the yard to hide the mess from the street.


I will note any further developments.

Harriet the Spy, signing off.

UPDATE:  Saturday 9:00 a.m.  I was right.  There is a yard sale.

6 comments:

Janet said...

all i can picture when i look at that is spiders making their webs...gross!!!

Gary's third pottery blog said...

OHMYFUCHINGGOD

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Either that, or the rats are getting organized...

Cassi said...

Ha ha! I like Karen's idea.

My sister has a neighbor like that, although she's been accumulating stuff for much longer --she's kind of scary.

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Relief that it's a yard sale and not a re-organized mess!

Jodi Pharo said...

ugh. my neighbors garage and house looked like that until he died and his family through out dumpsters of stuff.

and this is also why i am decluttering my attic NOW.