Thursday, December 24, 2015

From the Storybook (warning, spoilers!)

I was going to share "Granny Glittens and her Amazing Mittens," but The Tall Book of Christmas Tales was too tall to fit into my scanner! I'll just share the illustrations with bad cell phone photos.

**SPOILERS. Please GO AWAY if you don't want a reveal.** 

The bookstore had to put up a spoiler warning sign over the Star Wars books because one little boy opened up a book and got upset -- guess what, opening a book is full of spoilers!!!!!

Please leave now if you don't want to read my summary of the story. Because I will reveal things. 

I hope this was enough warning. I am not responsible for any trauma here.

This is your final warning. 

Ok. 

The gist is, every year Granny Glittens knits delightful colorful Christmas mittens for the neighborhood children.



One year, she can get only white yarn. 



What can she do? She spies jars of colorful and tasty candy in her cupboard. So she dyes the yarn with candy.



The kids EAT the mittens and parents keep buying more. 



This disturbed me as a child. My rational young self could imagine chewing the mittens like gum and sucking out the candy sweetness but to actually eat the yarn? "A Story You Will Not Believe," indeed.

Merry Christmas!

4 comments:

Gary's third pottery blog said...

best wishes to you :)

Common Household Mom said...

I appreciate your thorough warning about spoilers. I hate it when I read a book jacket and it described something that happens halfway through the book. Oy!

That is kind of a weird story.

Merry Christmas!

Cassi said...

Huh. That is a very odd story :-) I can totally see why it might disturb a child.

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

As a child (and well into my teens), I wore fuzzy knee-high socks in the winter. I always claimed I could taste them as I put them on. Truly, it felt like icky acrylic fuzz on my tongue every single time. Blech!