Monday, March 23, 2009

The Junk Pile

I had a pile like this, although it fit into a much smaller box. Actually, I think it fit into a coffee mug. Eventually I threw it away. Guess what happened? We put the glass doors on an old TV cabinet and found we needed one of the things that used to be in the junk pile. C'est la vie.

Here's my new pile.


The item with the hand is a large button I picked up somewhere -- I should put it in my button jar. The gold key looks important, like it fell off of someone's musical instrument. The gold bead I have just identified as a bauble from a piece of my clothing. Sometimes, screws and things make their way home in the Handy Husband's pocket. But where did that big black hunk of plastic come from?

On the other hand, the dish of change lying around on my husband's dresser was worth $36. Yes, Thirty-Six. Real. Dollars. Whoo-Hoo. If only I could get my hands on Frank's change collection. I hear it fills up 3 Snapple bottles.

So what's lying around your house that you'd like to talk about?

10 comments:

jenn said...

Arrg. I've just begun to sift through my many junk drawers and piles because my mother's coming to visit next week. Found so far: a colored shrinky-dink that I promised to bake for kiddo six months ago, two mysterious black knobs, six enormous rubber bands that you'd think I would remember for their sheer size alone, and a motherlode of receipts.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Some things--like junk piles--are just universal.

How funny that we both used "C'est la vie" in a post today!

Mom on the go said...

Does a purse count? I found a hotwheel, a corkscrew, crayons, a couple of mystery screws and old gift cards. Missing... my library card and money.

Very Mary said...

I'd rather not disclose, but for the good of the order, here goes!

In the dining room: 2 vintage typewriters, a box full of vintage accounting ledgers, a stack of cash to be deposited into the bank, and a dressform wearing a tank top, jean jacket, and mink stole.

In the attic: everything else. Well, everything else that isn't also in the basement.

Tricia said...

I've got a whole drawer of things I don't really want to talk about, and have no idea why there there.

I love that button.

dkuroiwa said...

I am not going to talk about the crap that is around my house because if I don't talk about it, it's not really there....okay?
So, I'm just going to go and read some more posts....forget you even brought this topic up.

Anonymous said...

We don't have much of a junk pile in the new house ... yet.

But, we still have assorted junk at the old house that we need to deal with.

And, I'm pretty certain there's a box o' junk in Grace's bedroom.

Forty Two East said...

Oh I have thrown out stuff only to need it in a few days later......!

Talking about junk piles....well, I am waiting for my hubby to get home so we can clean out the closet, so I am sure we will have a junk pile!

Great blog.

Mary Alice said...

there are a lot of phone chargers around for phones that no longer exist.

Vanessa said...

I have random receipts, an assortment of dog food bowls and seem to have ink pens everywhere which is dangerous since I have a kiddo who likes to eat them. Luckily it's been a while since we've had an ink explosion.