Friday, March 29, 2013

Shivering Hummingbird

I was rushing out of the house Tuesday morning, on my way to Zumba and cutting my time very close because of course I had spent too much time on the internet, when I saw a teeny bird on the windowsill.


This is the first time I have ever seen a hummingbird sitting still. It was a chilly morning and he was shivering.


I didn't know what to do. Homer was eyeing him, but Homer's robustness does not allow him to jump quite that high. I would have mixed up some nectar but as I said, I was short of time.  So I went on my way.  When I got home, the bird was gone.  I checked around and could find no evidence that Homer was responsible for any mischief.

I was greatly relieved the next morning when I saw a hummer flitting around the peach tree.

Today's task:   Clean windowsill.

8 comments:

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Smiling because you and I have the same bad habit (trying to squeeze in "one more thing" before leaving the house)... and because you managed to take photos! And of course I'm relieved that the bird is fine.

If you have any wash water leftover, I've got some window sills that need attention here... I'm too busy watching the quail chase each other around our backyard. ;)

Cassi said...

Wow, that is kind of amazing, to see a hummingbird just sitting there. Great photos, and I'm glad you saw him humming around the next day! It'll be about a month here, I think, before we need to get our feeders out.

Glennis said...

They look so vulnerable when they're sitting still!

cookingwithgas said...

To me this is a good sign of good things in your life. I think birds are here at times to remind us of how quick life can be. How sweet this moment must have been for you.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

ooooh :)

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

That is unusual. Very cool you captured it.

Anonymous said...

Oh! Poor bird!
I'm so impressed how you got a photo of it being so still. The only still ones I ever saw were dead.

Anonymous said...

It's morning on May 25 & raining & unusally cold in NJ at 42 degrees. The hummer/s are shivering, almost shaking, on my feeder. Is there anything I can do? I'd like to warm the syrup, but don't know what would be safe; also it wouldn't stay warm long. I've turned on a floodlight about ten feet away but it doesn't point at the shine on the feeder. ???