Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Housekeeping Wars, In Which I Battle the Millenium Falcon

The planets collided this month and in addition to having almost my entire house in disarray due to new carpet and carpet cleaning, I also had to absorb another load of things from my father's house.

On the one hand, I now have two more dressers, one of which is earmarked for Ernest's bike gear, to replace a stack of plastic bins and cardboard boxes. I have been working on Ernest's room (with his permission) and it looks really good. You've never seen so much floor space in there!



The Millenium Falcon fought me every inch of the way. Way back when, around 2007, he coveted this seriously expensive lego. I indulged that child, so I bought it. But I stipulated, "when you clean up your room to my satisfaction you can have it." That didn't happen until 2013! Meanwhile, the set was discontinued so it became very collectible on eBay. He could have sold it and made lots of money, but he wanted to build it. It was so huge, there was no place to put it. It rested on its box next to his bed. It got dusty. The cats jumped on it and dislodged pieces. I had to move it somewhere to have the carpets cleaned so he said I could rebox it. It fought being reboxed. Oh, the cat can easily knock pieces off but when I try to get it apart? I had to give up and put it in a large plastic bag.

On the other hand, I have six seven eight large boxes of slides.  I wonder if I could fit them into the second dresser. That would be win/win.

It is a good opportunity to go through the house to ugh clean and purge.

Handy even cleaned out his nightstand, which was his own little personal disaster area.

But I will be so glad when I am done and everything is back in place again.

8 comments:

Karen Jensen said...

Clean and purge. Not good words.

Common Household Mom said...

Cleaning out spaces and getting rid of things is SO hard. I haven't done it for years. We also are accumulating more stuff from other relatives' houses.

Bravo to you on finding that floor space! It looks great!

Cheri @ Blog This Mom!® said...

Oooooo. The Millenium Falcon. Ooooo. I never knew anyone who had one. Wow! I had to giggle at your title. :-)

Cheri @ Blog This Mom!® said...

Oooooo. The Millenium Falcon. Ooooo. I never knew anyone who had one. Wow! I had to giggle at your title. :-)

Gary's third pottery blog said...

Oh man, having cleaned is so wonderful, but cleaning...?

Jen on the Edge said...

I have no idea what we're going to do with all the completed Lego sets in our house.

Anonymous said...

Lego and I have a bone to pick. My middle son just dismantled HUNDREDS of dollars of kits to "make more room" in his bedroom. The blocks are all jumbled in a drawer together. I cannot even look at him.
Damn kids and their damn toys. Grr.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

It is never fun to have your house in disarray. Never!