Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Turkey Day Traumas and Triumphs

This is slightly late for a Thanksgiving post, but it is hard for me to blog when everyone is in the house.


The traumas:

We ran out of butter.

When I got back from the store, the turkey was still on the counter, the oven had gone out and the house smelled like gas. ***

The gas smell made my headache worse.

So did someone's zealous overuse of cleaning products. (Did he have to pick that moment to attack the grungy glue oozing out between the pantry floor tiles? With acetone?)

And then there wasn't enough Mrs. Cubbison's. I should have bought 2.

When I went BACK to the store AGAIN, they were out of stuffing!


The Triumphs:

The turkey fit in Frank's tiny oven and cooked just fine.

On my second trip to the store, I had a nice chat with a mom I hadn't seen in ages.

I toasted some bread and added it to the stuffing I had.

The oven worked later and I was able to bake the stuffing and sweet potato casserole.

Both recipes turned out great.

Everyone loved the food.

The pies were awesome.

We were able to distract Mr. Thomas from having a trauma by offering him pie with whipped cream.

Everything is better with whipped cream.


***Mr. Kelleher was here this afternoon and put a new igniter in my oven so I can safely use it again!

2 comments:

jenn said...

It's not Thanksgiving unless something goes wrong! I could not get the carrots I was glazing to finish cooking, so I microwaved them. Totally melted the beautiful thick glaze into watery goo. Oh well, they still tasted good. :)

Susan said...

I agree with Jenn. I roasted the asparagus before I wnet to my sister's house (to save room in the oven.) But I cooked it too long and by the time we warmed it up for dinner - it was mush.

Glad yours turned out well!