Monday, November 12, 2007

First Illness of the School Year, or Don't Read This if You Can't Deal With Vomit

Last school year I had 3 colds the first 4 weeks of school. I took Airborne after that, and had two colds the rest of the year, which were only half as severe. Is that evidence that it works?

This year I have been less vigilant with the Airborne. I just haven't seen that many snuffly noses.

Until last week. I must be prepared. There were many upset stomachs, diarrhea, vomiting, and fevers last week. I washed my hands. Compulsively. All the time. So far I'm OK. And back on the Airborne.

On Saturday night, my own Ernest came into the TV room just before bedtime saying, "I upchucked." This is the child who never vomits.

(A footnote... Frank, the older brother, had a really strong gag reflex as a toddler, and would vomit if anything tickled or choked his throat. A lot. I had a constant dialog with his daycare directors, saying: "was he eating? then he just gagged on something, he's not sick." I got used to being spewed on. A lot. Mostly on my nice black wool blazer.)

(On the other hand, Ernest, the younger brother, has only vomited 3 times in his entire life. I think the prior time he was 4 years old; he had an outpatient surgery to remove a bump on his neck (I was told it was a lymph node but it was only an impacted hair follicle!) and the pain reliever made him nauseous.)

So if Ernest's vomiting, he's sick. I cleaned up the bathroom floor (TWICE). Ernest can't go to his loft bed if he's going to be sick all night. So I sent the HH to the guest room and settled Ernest with a bucket on the side of my bed closest to the bathroom. Smart move with the bucket. There were at least 3-4 more incidents before his tummeh calmed down at 3:45 in the morning.

So we've been zombehs, once again.

(Excuse the lolcat talk, we find it funneh.)

I'm still sleepeh.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry, when my kid pukes - I puke!
Luckily he's like your youngest. I was fine when he was a baby. I sailed right thru the nastiest of diapers and spit up's, but when he could start gagging.....that was it for me.
Husband knows when Sonny Boy pukes, he has to be on clean up duty because I will be either outside or in my bathroom hurling.
I don't think that makes me a bad mom per se, I'm just a sympathetic puker.

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

Poor you, poor Ernest.

I've taught my girls to barf in plastic stadium cups and not make a mess. It will be great practice for college.

Anonymous said...

OMG! I can't take this type of discussion -- I'm sorry! My mouth begins to salivate and then I find myself dizzy and running for the nearest powder room at the mere suggestion of projectile illness. And don't even get me started on animal vomit. The all too familiar kitty hairball upchuck sound is another thing that sends me over the edge. Whenever I hear kitty about to let loose, I run and grab a towel in an attempt to rescue the carpeting or bed. As for the dogs, well, one seldom gets advanced notice. They will look happy and wag their tails as they suddenly make an enormous gooey mess on the floor. Your very brave, Small Town Mom! Grab the Lysol and Purell and hope like hell you've conquered the germ.