Tuesday, January 06, 2015

We're Going to Need a Bigger Snake

The plumbing story part two:


Handy cleaned out the trap in the upstairs bathtub (through the hole in the wall) but blub blub blub. No noticeable improvement.

We called a plumber, who wasn't too interested. I think they only like to deal with the emergencies. Days later a guy showed up, laughed at Handy's redo, and said we should tear out a wall.  We were supposed to get another call back this weekend but no nothing happened.

Meanwhile, Handy bought a better (drill-powered) snake and solved the problem himself.  Ernest ran water in the tub upstairs and said he'd never seen it drain so fast.

Really, learning to do your own plumbing is where it's at.


4 comments:

Common Household Mom said...

It's hard to find a plumber without hubris. We found one, and then a year later he retired. That was 10 years ago, and we haven't really found a truly satisfactory plumber since.

I just hate it when plumbers come and laugh at what we the laypeople have tried to do to fix our plumbing problems by ourselves.

I hate it even more when plumbers tear holes in the wall/ceiling/cement floor in the garage. That has rarely worked out well for us.

Linda said...

You're a true DoItYerselfer!

Jenny Hart Boren said...

In my next life I want to be a plumber, because plumbers only work when they feel like it, and if they don't--they don't. It's like a real-life version of "He's Just Not That Into You" but with pipes.

We had some work done by the rickety old friend of a shirttail relative and although he was prompt and the price was definitely low--only about half his work was any good. I have convinced a couple of others to come and do things, but again, they only appeared when they really wanted to and only did as much work as they felt moved to do, in exchange for a bag of my hard-earned money.

When I am a plumber (you will have to wait until I am dead and reincarnated, so be patient) I will do excellent work, on time, as scheduled, and I won't laugh at your lame DIY repairs.

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

I had no idea it was so difficult to get a good plumber who didn't want to buy himself a boat by taking on your project!
Good for you (and Handy) for fixing the problem.