Friday, September 23, 2016

I Was a Feminist at 5

I just realized. 

Recently, my friends shared some kindergarten reminicences on Facebook.

I said:

"I was annoyed because there were no books to read and girls had to play in the toy kitchen."

I must have taught myself to read. I can't even remember not being able to read. I have vivid memories of looking at the kindergarten book rack and being disappointed because there were no books with real words in them. In my spare time I read everything I could. 

And I excavated in our unused carport. There was some brownish sand on top but underneath was a beautiful white layer. I carefully scraped out the white layer, mixed in some water, and made beautiful cement highways. 




1 comment:

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

You know, I think those are pretty awesome memories. (These days, the powers that be expect kids to learn to read in Kindergarten.)