Wednesday, October 08, 2008

You know you live in a small town...


...when the big deal to do on Wednesday night (according to one of Frank's friends) is to eat dinner at Baker's Square because supposedly you get a free slice of pie on Wednesday.

Pie courtesy of Baker's Square - celebratepie.com

I can't believe this is what teenagers really want to do. There must be an ulterior motive. Like a place to hang out away from home. Because it's just pie. (I can hear my kids screaming, "No, pie is awesome!")

I remember 30 years ago when that restaurant was a Sambo's and we would go there after football games. The waitresses hated that shift. You know, tips under the upside down glass of water, salt shaker unscrewed. Not by me! I just witnessed it. I hope Frank's friends are better behaved.

PIE UPDATE: He had Oreo pie.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pie sounds really good right now!

Tricia said...

Free food and no parents? Sounds like a teenager slice of heaven.

barbra said...

We used to go to Marie Callender's after football games, to get milkshakes and pie. How funny - I remember feeling like it was a big deal to be at a restaurant table with your friends, no parents.

(We did tend to unscrew the salt and pepper shakers now and then.)

I'm kind of relieved that kids still like to go get pie. Not everything has changed, you know?

TopChamp said...

Hello - Would you mind telling me what Oreo pie is please? It sounds chocolatey and delicious to me.

smalltownme said...

I did e-mail Topchamp with the Baker's Square pie description.

When I finally saw Frank again, he said it was "kind of cheesecakey." So think cheesecake with oreo crust and oreo crumbs mixed in. (A waste of a good cheesecake, IMHO.)

Louise said...

When I was in college, one of our favorite hang-outs was Village Inn... for the pie!