Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Inspiration and Cranberry Orange Scones

Frank invited me to a piano recital Monday morning, so I brought Ina Garten's Cranberry Orange Scones. Ina never leads me astray. They were divine.


Frank is once more a tween. Just when you think you've grown out of all those awkward stages, you arrive at another one. No longer a high schooler, but more motivated than the adult students, his kind and lovely teacher coined a "collegiate" level just for him. But he is invited to play with both the high schoolers and the adults.

The adults were coerced into a recital with the lure of coffee and snacks. I commend them for stepping out of their comfort zones.

When Ernest leaves for college next fall, I hope to slide into his piano slot and brush up my rusty skills.  I took lessons long enough to finish the first John Thompson book, but I quit because we did not have a piano.  I hated practicing on this 29-key organ.


Eventually we got a piano, but I did not want to take lessons again.  Of course I regret that now.  I did noodle around (as my sons say) on that piano but I found it really hard to play.  Years later, Ernest had started lessons on that very piano and I mentioned that to his teacher (a different lovely woman who came to our house) and she said, yes this piano is very hard to play.  As in hard to push the keys down. Wow, it wasn't just me!  So when we realized Ernest was serious about music and not just noodling around we got another piano.

Well, here's to scones and inspirations.  What's inspiring you today?







NaBloPoMo November 2013

7 comments:

slow panic said...

My sewing table is inspiring me to clean it up and get creative.

Anonymous said...

How awesome that he's found a gift and has a passion for it. You must feel so proud to hear him play.
I'm inspired to wrap up some writing projects so I can embark on a new one.

Becky Brown said...

Oh, how I wish I'd stuck with piano lessons, too! Good for you for paying attention to that little voice of inspiration!

cookingwithgas said...

The scones look amazing, pass me one.

Common Household Mom said...

It is my dream to take piano lessons again, once I am finished with everything else. The problem is that I am never finished with everything else.

I hope you get to take those piano lessons!

Glennis said...

I too took piano lessons years ago and then abandoned them. When we sold mom's house, I had fantasies about shipping her grand piano to California (from Texas!) and taking lessons again, but fortunately I let go of that idea.

Better to make scones. Mmmmm!

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

I love everything about this post: musicality in your family, the blue painting behind the organ, cranberry orange scones, the plate upon which they were served, and the reason for making them!