Friday, May 22, 2009

Cake

Last year Frank was in charge of my birthday cake, and it was delicious. But I made the same cake for Ernest to take to school last month, so I told Frank I wanted something different. "Don't worry, I'll help!" were my famous last words.



This was another PW recipe. What the recipe didn't tell us is that you need a pan with extra high sides. This is what happens if you don't:


Because of the overflow, the cake itself was very thin. And our strawberries would not smash with a fork - we had to chop them in the food processor. And they stuck like crazy to the frosting. I was so disappointed in the whole mess I was ready to put it in the trash...I told Frank, "I'll just get something else tomorrow." So he, my sweet devious boy, pretended he was going out to get gas for his car. And instead, he got a replacement cake.


Frank wrote the messages himself:







They both tasted good.



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are blessed! Both with good cakes and good boys!!

Flutterby said...

Mine won't even try to cook anything anymore. He doesn't know where anything is, what we even have, let alone *how*. The last time he was going to cook for me I got so tired of "Where is... what pan... how much... what temperature... do we have...???" I gave up.

Anonymous said...

Haha. I like the messages.

Vanessa said...

You have such great boys, so sweet!

dkuroiwa said...

Great story...two cakes...wonderful sons...it was a good day!

pretty boy!! that was funny!!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Happy Birthday!

That strawberry one looks quite tasty. You had to have known your boys would come through for their mom.

jenn said...

What a sweetie! They look yummy - happy birthday!

Susan said...

Somehow no matter how bad it may look - homemade cake always tastes good!

Pretty Things said...

Oh no on the overflow! I am a pretty decent cook, but cakes, they hate me. Cookies, molten chocolate things, fine. Cakes, um, better order out.