Thursday, December 19, 2013

Holiday Homes Tour 2013

It's time!  Time for the 2013 Holiday Homes Tour, hosted by Jen on the Edge.  (I am a little early posting this but I couldn't contain myself any longer.)

I'm always doing something unusual with my wreath.  This year is no different.  Number one, it's not a wreath because my boy scout never showed.  Wreaths at the market were $22.  Two fronds were $8. Homer said, "Spend the rest of the money on cat food!"  Number two, you can see that my cats were the inspiration. Bacon snowflakes for Homer, mice and yarn for Fifi.


You just can't put a real hat on the cat.


So we put it on Ferd the roof stork instead.  Ferd needs a little touchup!



The real tree is a bit smaller this year. But bigger than last year's food tree.



I have plenty of tomato cage trees.  Pop culture.  Cats, of course.  And the handmade ornaments, with my favorite two. I just made a 4th tomato cage tree yesterday but I don't want to redo the collage!



Santas took over the mantel.



Elves found a forest of mushrooms.



And the pièce de résistance, the showpiece, the highlight:  Pink and Sparkly.  Even a flamingo there for Debbie.  "Wow, it looks way better than I thought it would," said Ernest, having previously seen the tree in a naked state and low on the ground.  I put it on a stool for more height.


My recession tree (2010) is no more because Handy decided to be helpful and take it apart.  "I thought you took it apart every year."  He clearly doesn't read my blog.



Merry Christmas, Everyone!

Here are this year's home tour participants.

If you'd like to visit my prior years, here are the links:
2008 2009 2010 2011 2012

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh! That pink and silver tree!
And cats in hats!
And MUSHROOMS!
You have exquisite decorating taste.

Jenny Hart Boren said...

My 'other' tree is a 3' tall ficus. It is a little bendy for ornaments and the lights really make it sag, so I am considering putting a tomato cage over it (and fishing the branches out through the spaces) to make a kind of scaffold for the decorations. I didn't do it this year but next year for sure!

Your Christmas decor is boss!

Jen on the Edge said...

I've gone through this post twice so far and found new things each time. Your creativity always amazes me.

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

The cat wreath!!!!! The cat wreath!!!!

Also the tomato cage trees are a great idea. But the real winner, (other than the cat wreath of course) is that fabulous silver and pink tree. Glorious!

Common Household Mom said...

Putting a hat on a roof stork has to take guts. But perhaps it's easier than putting a hat on a cat.

I love the cat wreath! And the tomato cage tree is the best idea since sliced gingerbread. Merry Christmas!

Molly said...

Best. Wreath. Ever. Cats and bacon! Tomato cage trees... brilliant... wheels are spinning. And I couldn't love that pink and silver fabulosity more.

Patience_Crabstick said...

I've never seen a house with a stork on the roof before, but I love the concept--especially with the santa hat. And the silver tree with pink disco balls is perfection!

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

H-J's girlfriend and I found everything shown to be superb, but we were overcome with joy thanks to your pink tree (and she's a purple girl)! ♥
Bacon ornaments for your cat "wreath" was a brilliant move.
And are those caroling Santas on your mantel?
Now I'm sad about your recession tree... better eat some bacon... or chocolate... or bacon-infused chocolate!

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

PS: I found the pickle right away! :)

Susan said...

As expected you blow me away with your creativity! Above it all is the santa hat on the stork! So great.

Kimbra Kasch said...

I LOVE the tinsel tree and pink - how beautiful those are together. And the hat on the pelican - priceless :D

Merry Christmas!