Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Lost Hamsters

My Handy Husband had a bunch of hamsters before we met. I remember the stories of only two of them. (M-I-L may have more stories.)
  • The One (Elizabeth?) who chewed on the refrigerator cord and electocuted herself...
  • The One (Nathan?) who was squashed by his hip...
...And in my time there was a beautiful hamster abode with a loft and picture windows, handcrafted by the HH ...when he was the HB aka handy boyfriend, and its tenants were:
  • The One (Sigmund) who crawled under the heater between the floors of an I.V. apartment and never came out, and...
  • The One (Blossom) who paralyzed her back legs somersaulting off the hamster bedroom loft, and...
  • The One (Max) who we though was dead but the HB massaged him back to life. For a while...
We got hamsters early in Frank's life...a mistake. There was
  • The One (Fred) his friend squashed...
  • The One (Jack) who lost 3 teeth and the last tooth grew so long he couldn't eat...
Then we saw THE ONE, the most beautiful hamster in all the universe.

Tina.


Featured on Cute Overload and Flickr.

This started the hamster longing all over again. Ernest thinks we need to get the HH a hamster. for Father's Day. I'm just not sure. I feel we would be setting ourselves up for yet another tragic ending. But on the other hand, Ernest would love and adore a little pet.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you mean the one who was being played with in the living room and got stuffed behind a sofa cushion (guilty conscience) and proceeded to chew his way thru the cushion?

Don't remember the hamster's name but the chewed sofa cushion was with us for another 10 years.

How can you stay mad at someone who loves hamsters and cats?
m-i-l

Vanessa said...

I love hamsters! I have loved them my whole life. I have two right now, Nigel and Franklin and they live in their cages in a giant jacuzzi tub because sometimes they can escape and they can't crawl out of the tub). I love them so much. One is a black bear and one is a honey bear. I have had one of the unfortunate experiences of which you speak. I also had one cook to death in a cross country move. This happened with the current SO and I've never been able to fully forgive him or myself for it.

Anonymous said...

OMG! You totally reminded me of our hampster story. I'll have to post it sometime soon because it's really funny. And just so you'll know already, it died, but the funeral was hilarious!!

Anonymous said...

My boss had a 'Siberian' hamster who lived in great style in a four storey Neo Georgian dolls house complete with glitzy furniture!

It often escaped, only to be discovered in less salubrious surroundings! (the loo)

There's gratitude for you!

Sarah said...

Oh dear, I'm not a hamster person. I do like cats because they're lovely and really, really easy to take care of. We have a dog now and I love her to bits and bits but she's a bit more labor intensive.