Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Pie Day

Today was PIE preparation day here in the Smalltown Mom household.

I am thankful that my sons like to make pies.

Ernest's preparations...


And the result (I swear, that pie is smiling at me!)...

Frank's handy helper...


And his final product...



Yes, they make their crusts from scratch.

My Thanksgiving menu tends to be pretty basic: turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, vegetable, salad, cranberry sauce and rolls, plus the pies of course!

Last year I made these green beans from The Half-Assed Kitchen (love that name!) and they were excellent. It's the french-fried onions. We'll be having those again.

Every once in a while I try out something new -- I'm thinking of Swiss Chard and Sweet Potato Gratin from Smitten Kitchen. But that means another trip to the store. Should I go for it? I could make it today. If we have a leftover buffet for dinner (or if I just throw them away), there will be enough room in the refrigerator!

No comments: