Sunday, May 15, 2011

Mom Mnemonics

I volunteered at Hogwarts Faculty Appreciation lunch last week. It was nice to meet some of the other parents (90% moms). I have a hard time remembering names, though.

So I used a few mnemonics to help me remember the names of moms and some of their respective children.

Secretary of State Clinton, and her daughter Comet.
My favorite teacher's eldest daughter and her son, Buster.
Huffington post without the "a"; her daughter, doc brown's girlfriend in BttF III, and her younger son, a pope.

Weird, I know, but it helped me a lot.

I used this method with success to learn a new 3rd graders name. I look at him and think Kutcher.

What helps you remember?


4 comments:

Linda said...

I try to repeat the name while really making eye contact and trying to notice the color of the person's eyes. I read somewhere that was supposed to work. All I usually end up remembering though is what they were wearing... which, as I learned on the Sunday CBS Morning Show is pretty normal for women.

Anonymous said...

I have a freakishly good memory for names--it served me well as a high school teacher! My husband is always asking me for spouse names, etc. and I ALWAYS come up with them.

Vanessa said...

What helps me remember the most is writing something down. I am an endless list maker! When meeting new people, I try to meet them in smaller groups (even within a larger group) and use their name when speaking to them. "Its great to meet you ____" type of thing. It doesn't always work, but its a good start for me.

Susan said...

Repetition is the only way for me. If I know in advance who I will meet it helps, too. Therewise I have to hear or say the name a number of times before it sticks.