Thursday, June 03, 2010

Coconut Shrimp with Apricot Salsa

I did have my Lost Luau but I totally forgot about using my Lost Party Pack. So I guess it's a collectible now, even with the potato chip stains (to the left of the Dharma logo). Backstory here.



Look closely, even the bottle opener is labeled.




I remember when "generic" products were first marketed -- they looked just like this. Great joke!

Back to the main point here, I made lots of tropical themed food. The best was coconut shrimp with apricot salsa.



The Coconut Shrimp were so easy, you almost don't need a recipe. I had about a pound of 31-40 count shrimp (turns out I had 38) -- two per skewer, dredge in flour, then egg, then roll in coconut. Fry until done.

The Apricot Salsa came from a recipe in the newspaper, which I can't link to. My proportions turned out a little different, so here's my version (You can find other versions all over the internet.) Mix all this together and let sit about an hour. It was best the same day -- by the next day the leftovers were mushy.

Apricot Salsa
1 lb. apricots, pitted and diced
1/2 of a red onion, diced (about 3/4 cup)
1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper, minced
juice of half a lemon
1/4 c. cilantro, chopped (a handful?)
1 avocado, diced
salt and pepper to taste

5 comments:

Jodi Anderson said...

I haven't had shrimp in ages. That looks so good that my mouth is watering

jenn said...

That shrimp looks divine! I'm trying that recipe this weekend.

Susan said...

You got my tummy growling!

San Diego Momma/Two Funny Brains said...

So my friends have a dinner club where every month they pick a new theme and make a six-course meal.

And this month? The theme is "Island," and these recipes would be fantastic.

Last month, the theme was "Spanish." Isn't that cool?

Pretty Things said...

I lost count of how many times I cried watching the finale of LOST.