Saturday, May 05, 2012

The Boss

Concert season has begun, so last week the Handy Husband and I headed down to L.A. to see the Boss at the Sports Arena.  We made a few stops along the way.  Lunch at Philippe's, home of the French Dip Sandwich.  Oh so good, with cole slaw and potato sandwich.  I wish I'd been adventurous enough to order a pickled egg.

Then we saw dinosaur bones and other natural wonders at the Natural History Museum.  The sparkling gemstones, they called to me!

After a room service dinner, we walked from the hotel to the concert.

Oh, the Boss.  You know how I love him.  He did not disappoint.  We had better seats this time, close enough so I could see Patti's cheekbones and Little Steven's pouting sneer.



As it always happens, we were seated near the Biggest Fan.  Robby was kind enough to introduce himself before he sat his 6 foot 2 self down in front of me, telling us, "I'm your worst concert nightmare.  I wave my arms and dance around.  But if it bothers you, I'd be happy to change seats with you."  We were in the back row of the section.  Well, a polite obnoxious fan, that's a change.  Actually, he was really nice and his bopping didn't bother me at all because he was halfway out in the aisle and I could easily see between him and his much quieter friend, Luis.  He also told us about his absent 6 foot 4 friend, who "is even worse than I am" so I am quite glad ---- (I forgot his name but it will come to me) missed this show.



Someone asked me what it was like without the Big Man.  Just fine, although the band thought it took two to fill his shoes.  Jake Clemons has an enthusiastic stage presence, but he should have been miked louder.  Eddie Manion was excellent, too.  There was a nice tribute during 10th Avenue Freeze out...



So sweet, he danced with his sister!  I don't want to be his sister, though.  



Great show!

In the morning, we had breakfast at the place than never closes, then looked at some cool cars.

See ya later...Ernest has another bike race so he and I are off to Lake Arrowhead for the weekend.

8 comments:

T.J. said...

What fun! I am a big fan of him myself: Born in the USA and Phil Collin's Invisible touch were the first two tape cassettes I ever owned :) What a cool convert for you to have been a part of.

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Lucky you! I have friends in Virginia who have scored tickets for the show there and are very excited.
Hope the bike race is fun!

Linda said...

Wow, I really enjoyed that post! So funny about the Biggest Fan. Enjoy all of your upcoming adventures!

Janet said...

I'm glad you had a good time! I have a friend from NJ who saw him recently and someone videoing the concert caught him giving her a hug on tape!

Anonymous said...

Sick with envy here--but you seem nice, so I guess I'll be glad for you...grudgingly.

Susan said...

I have never seen him in concert, I have always thought he would give a great show.

Nice that the BIG fan was just dancing and not waving a big sign.

Jen on the Edge said...

Fans like that are fun to watch but I hate sitting too close to them for fear of getting hit by a flailing arm.

Also, I have to admit that it irritates me when someone proudly boasts that they are [name of group/artist]'s biggest fan. Unless one can probe with empirical evidence that one is a group's biggest fan, I think it's better to say that one is simply a huge fan. (Yes, I'm getting picky and pedantic.) :-)

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

I too love Bruce. And cats. And Gary's pottery. Hmmmm....