Tuesday, May 15, 2012

My New Quiche

I've been making quiche from the same recipe since I was in college.  Let's round that off to 30 years.  Oh my goodness!  The recipe was handed down to me by my father.  Who got it from his quiche pan!  It's been good, all these years, so I haven't messed with it.

But last week I cooked for Hogwarts' staff appreciation day* and they had specific recipes to use.  The new recipe was really good.  I might stick with it for a while.  It's a little firmer.  I used to put the cheese on top, but the new recipe has the cheese on the bottom. I like it better that way -- it doesn't make a hard chewy layer on the top.

Change is good for me, whether it's the New Timeline, New Blogger or now, the New Quiche.


This has swiss cheese, bacon, broccolini (leftover!), and red onions.

Old Quiche
crust
your choice: sauteed onions, bacon, veg, etc.
2 c. grated cheese
2 c. half and half
4 eggs
nutmeg, salt, pepper

New Quiche
crust
1 1/4 c. grated cheese
your choice, etc.
1 1/2 c. milk
4 eggs                                           (updated, thanks Kate!)
3 T flour
1/4 t. dry mustard
1/4 t. salt
sprinkling of thyme

* At our old school, Staff Appreciation Day used to be catered by the PTO.  This year, the kitchen staff did it.  That doesn't seem right, the staff cooking their own staff appreciation day meal?

9 comments:

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Wow, I want to try both recipes! Thanks for sharing. :)

I'm with you! I am having trouble seeing how it is a good thing to have the staff make their own appreciation luncheon... that would be like asking Mom to make her own Mother's Day dinner for everyone else to enjoy. Oh, wait...

Vanessa said...

I can't say I like the new Blogger, but BOTH Quiche recipes look fantastic. Like Karen, I can't wait to try them. Thanks for sharing!

Cassi said...

Actually it seems kind of mean to make the staff cook their own lunch. NOT cool.

The quiche looks good, though. It's been too long since I've made one.

Karen Jensen said...

The recipes are great. And no fair making the staff cook their own dinner! Pooh!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

WTH? You had to cook for yourself? Not okay--though the quiche sounds wonderful.

I was on the verge of telling admin a my school that when you interrupt a teacher teaching to tell her you appreciate her, she does not appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

Mmmm...red onions. I like the sound of that quiche.
Funny how in men-dominated spheres they go out to eat.

Kate said...

How many eggs in the new recipe?

smalltownme said...

Oops, still 4 eggs! Sorry about that!

Susan said...

I always make mine crustless! Both recipes look good. Why did the PTO opt out?